By Emily King
Paris is a notoriously expensive city to visit, but there are delicious foods all across the city for budget-conscious travelers to enjoy.
1. Jambon-beurre Sandwich - A visit to Paris wouldn’t be complete without having the French National Sandwich. The crusted baguette filled with salted ham and creamy butter of the Jambon-beurre sandwich is served in nearly every little cafe around the city and commonly costs just over 3 euros. Make sure to order sandwiches from a bakery that serves loaves of bread for the freshest and most authentic tastes.
2. Baguette with cheap Red Wine - The traditional artist meal of a crusty baguette and a glass of cheap read wine is certainly a classic to be enjoyed on a park bench with a book of poetry or while lounging in the grass people-watching.
3. Pastries - Any Patisserie or Boulanger (pastry shop or bread baker) will be stocked with must-have macaroons and viennoises for affordable prices, and many bread shops also serve cheap lunch sandwiches for 3-5 euros.
4. Crêpes The thin, fluffy crêpes are a must-have when in Paris, and they are readily served day and night in a huge variety of ways. Street vendors offer sweet and salty options very late into the night and prices rarely go above 6 euros even for the most elaborate eats. A plain crêpe with powdered sugar runs less than 2 euros making this Parisian standard the ideal after-bar street snack.
5. Gyros - Paris is full of a variety of European stands and foods, but a winding road down from Notre Dame Cathedral leads to a pod of Greek eats like no city has seen before. For 4 euros diners can enjoy a large pita stuffed with chicken shawarma, lettuce, tomato, tzatziki sauce, and topped to the brim with french fries. The giant sandwich is one of the most filling things available on a budget, and it is a great meal to eat as you continue enjoying the unique layout of the city.